Thursday, September 4, 2008

Simple things... what's the deal with growing up?

I find myself wondering whatever happened? There are simple things, simple pleasures that we seem to get when we were kids that just don't happen anymore. & I really don't think those things aren't enjoyable or amusing. I think society or something tells us that we're not supposed to or allowed to enjoy it. I get urges and I frequently feel like there's an external pressure not to act on those... yesterday, I was wearing my infinity dress as variation #16 and the dress is made of a particularly fun, swishy, glorious feeling fabric. I was in the elevator alone. I was on my way home. I started twirling in the elevator until I got dizzy & almost fell over. It felt great. Another guilty pleasure: I like wearing red patent leather shoes. I want a pair of red glitter dorothy shoes to wear around. I like to run & skip. I frequently run down the hall at work. I swear my co-workers must think one of two things:
  • The girl (I guess i classify as woman now) is certifiably crazy
  • The girl has Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Sometimes I jog down the street just because I want to... in skirts, heels, jeans, whathaveyou.... and I can feel people looking or watching. They are probably thinking "she's late for something," "something must be wrong," etc... I bet you anything no one thinks: "that woman must enjoy a random jog."

Well, so, to continue bucking the stigma of adulthood... here's a list of things that I plan to do outside of Halloween and Talk-Like-A-Pirate Day (Sept. 19!)

  • have a tea party or picnic outside in strange clothing
  • continue to wear my costumes to work as long as they aren't too outrageous
  • make a point to skip more in public
  • Play croquet in all whites - preferably victorian
  • look more into steampunk which agrees with my aesthetics
  • Go have dinner in McDonald's in full formal attire
  • try to organize a prom or homecoming night for adults
  • Do a "chinese firedrill" (I know the term is not PC anymore & I don't care) when I'm 80. I hope there are still cars & stoplights around then.

Cheers for today.

P.S. I want one! Monowheel

No comments: