Thursday, September 25, 2008

Samhain 2007 to 2008

I have no idea how many people know this, but I inadvertantly deided to celebrate Samhain (ancient celtic New Year ~ Nov 1) last year and made some Samhain resolutions. I would recommend that EVERYONE do it! The main benefit: you make resolutions to be better about what you eat right BEFORE the major binging holidays and they're so new that it helps you be good around all those cookies and candies and turkey and stuffing and.... *drools on self *



So last year (don't know if it's Samhain 2007 or 2008) I made the following resolutions:


  1. Improve myself, healthwise

  2. Take less of other's issues onto my own shoulders (kinda relates to 1 if you think about mental health)

  3. Get off my ass & make some friends, or try to be better about those that I already have (relates also to mental health)

  4. Start doing the things that I like to do again

  5. Find social outlets where I fit

  6. Eat better (relates to #1)

  7. Conduct experiment to see if I can enjoy running

For #1, there were a lot of sub-resolutions... exercise more, get a physical, find a primary Care physician, go to the dentist, get my weight in check or lose some (most preferable), and get myself into a better mental state through improving my lifestyle.


I think I've done pretty well so far... I did get a physical and a PCP, I've done a greater variety of exercise, I've found dance groups, I've lost 45 lbs., I'm in better cardio shape & I think I've built some muscle? I'm doing more things that I want to do instead of just going along with what everyone else is doing. I think I'm happier? Who knows. Happiness is hard to quantify, especially when work is stressful. I HAVE NOT GOTTEN TO A DENTIST.... someone please, PLEASE harass me into doing it. I need to go, I know I need to... I just... don't... waaannnnttt... to. Ack!

For #2, I've been distancing myself from the problems of others and have kinda stopped trying to solve them for them.

For #3, I 'bought' a friend on Craigslist and that has been quite nice. I've also made more of an effort to call & hang out with the girls that I already knew, but kinda sat back and waited for something to happen. One person or the other needs to make a move for a friendship to go anywhere. So I've actively worked on countering my paranoia of rejection and started making the first move. hoorah! I've also been trying to reestablish old friendships and make the most of current long-distance ones. Facebook has helped since I can't bring myself to pick up the telephone. One thing I still need to work on is to not be so afraid of the social stigma of a married woman going off & getting herself guy friends to hang with. I used to hang out with guys all the time in college. J doesn't care. The only thing that's holding me back really is the stigma. That damn stigma held me back from just calling my friend Matt up to hang out & now he's gone & I'll never get the chance again. Must change this.

Regarding #4, I think this year has been a success. I've been to a lot of odd movies at the Arlington Drafthouse. I've also gotten involved with some 18th century dance that ends up combining my love of costuming and dressing up with dancing and it only requires a twice a year or so commitment. Additionally, I found a vintage dance group that meets once a month, so once a month I get to go do a kick-your-knickers-up Polka and other fun things. I've been doing more sewing and I've been going to fewer events that I don't like - I used to go because "someone else wanted to go".

For #5, please check out the comment about Vintage dance in #4 and I also got in with a group of girls my age through 18th century dance and we all are a little ga-ga over regency stuff. So darn comfy!

Number 6, as of April I started in on The Daily Plate and I've lost 45 lbs and am eating sooo many more fruits and veggies that I'm quite proud. I'd say it's been a success eventhough I do occasionally fall back into my meat & potatoes only thing. I'll have to be on TDP forever, I think.

The running is a semi-success. I enjoy it to a point. The fact of the matter is that I eventually get bored. I can't really keep my attention on it for more than 30 mins and I need a significant number of rocks & trees around to keep me interested. But, hey! I think I will try to work my way up to a 10 K by this time next year though. What do you think?

Now, I really should start thinking up a new list of Samhain resolutions for this coming year. Once again, the eating better & less sweets will be a part of it. But what else... hmmmm.....

No comments: