Monday, September 8, 2008

OUCH! *gripe* *gripe*

OK, so update for those who know and a notification for those who don't already.... Last November I decided to see if I could "become a runner." I've always hated running, so I was curious to see if I could actually like it. I've had this thought for years, actually. So in November, I started doing research, I signed up for the Cherry Blossom 5K, and came up with a plan. I was going to use the Couch to 5K program from Cool Running, get me some Vibram Fiverfingers, and start the training program while incorporating the principles of barefoot running and Chi Running breathing techniques. So anyway, I trained and froze and trained and froze (I don't dig treadmills, so I stuck to running outside regardless of temp & weather in the winter) and the long and short of it is that I did complete and run the entire 5K (you can find me here...) and all with a time about a minute better than I thought.


From Cherry Blossom 5K (04-06-08)



The end result: I did enjoy at least the first mile and a half. After that, I got bored and didn't want to run anymore. I figured I'd try to keep it up. Then it got hot. I don't like hot. I have never liked hot - rather, I've never liked it until I went to Death Valley... I can dig dry heat. Long & short, I haven't run since May.
I just went ahead & signed myself up for the NOLA 5K, which is in a little less than 2 weeks and I've been very skeptical about all this. Last night J & I ran to Blockbuster (1.2 mi) and It was pretty OK... clocked in at about 12 mins. When we ran back (1.15 mi) I clocked in at 8:43. That's an 8-minute mile!!! WTF? New record. That distance was fine too. I've been a bit sore today.
Today, I had arranged to run with a girl Jill who is also running the NOLA.... because I am clinically insane and should be committed, I mapped out a 3 mile course for shits-&-giggles. We walked a little bit and took a short rest just before the end of mile 2, but I'd say we did about 2.7 mi. cummulative running and completed that in 40 mins. This is putting me in at a 10 minute mile (YAY!) and making me confident that I will be able to complete it in 2 weeks. I am NOT confident that I won't be sore as hell that day... I can barely move right now & I have some blisters under my arches because I haven't run in my soes for a while. Time for some rest, I guess. : )
I'm tired.

No comments: