Sunday, September 14, 2008

The last straw...

Oh Ibiza... How do I loathe you? Let me count the ways.... There's a new-ish club in DC called Ibiza (openned last July) and one would think that I'd love it because it's essentially the only club in DC that has good techno nights and gets decent DJs. Everything else in DC is either Hip Hop/R&B or 18-and-over (I'm too old for that). I miss Nation. Nation was a big warehouse space that was very laid back and you could wear almost anything. Very laid back. Nice... Frickin' redevelopment - it ruins all that is good.

So anyway Ibiza openned a little bit after Nation closed. It's very nice inside. Upscale. Has a great roof area. Seating is only to be had for those willing (read: stupid enough) to pay $500-1,000 for bottle service. That's a club. Nothing to complain about. I think I've been to Ibiza three times in the past year. The first time we went was the first night that was cold enough to warrant a coat check. They jury-rigged a coat check in a tiny manager's office with $5 coat racks and it was so disorganized that I waited in line for 2 hours for my coat, only to have them bring out the racks eventually and declare that everyone should just take their coats - at this point a riot nearly ensued. At some point during the night, the rack had collapsed, so they had no idea who's coat was who's. It was a debacle. I can understand glitches, but that was insane. The next time was for my friend's celebration thingie and we went on a Friday. Friday is a Hip Hop night. Not my style. We were on a list though so we were supposed to get in free. Well, when we got there, the "list" apparently didn't get you anything - no free, no discount. So we ended up paying full cover price. Then when we got inside, 2/3 of the club were roped off as VIP only. I was irrate. After complaining to the manager, I got my group some free drink vouchers and freee VIP wristbands so that we could at least get away from the Plebian masses if we wanted to (Not: the VIP area was still crowded as all get-out, but it's not as loud up on the balcony as on the main floor).

Last night we went because Paul Van Dyk was going to be playing. I've been wanting to see him since 2001.... Cover was $35 and the whole place was open to us. Not too, too bad considering that I was thinking we wouldn't get in at all (advanced tickets were sold out). The DJ was good, but the first think on my agenda was to order a Rum & Diet Coke because I wanted a bit of a buzz for low-cal (watching my intake) and needed caffeine because I was soo, sooooo tired. "We don't have diet" What? OK, nevermind.... I figured they had run out. I hit a bar in a quieter, less frequented area and tried again. "we don't have diet" What?!?! The whole bar is out? "No, we don't have it anymore" WHAT?!?!?! "We used to, but people didn't order it that much, so we don't have it anymore." That's it, I'm done. I'm not going back. That's just ridiculous. Alcohol is the only thing that dulls the irritation of thousands of sweaty people treading on me, pushing me, spilling drinks on me and etc. It was not my day I guess.

No comments: