Friday, August 29, 2008

Progress

For anyone who hasn't been talking to me since April and for anyone who hasn't seen me recently and for anyone who just doesn't know.... I've been on a really big weight-loss kick. I finally reached that point that just kicks one in the ass such that one actually has some motivation to keep with it. I was one of those people who had "tried everything" and "nothing works" and "I have a lousey metabolism."



[aside: that last one's true. I'm genetically predisposed to be very strong & hearty and would be well-suited to old-school farming or full time athelete or a life without cars, horses, etc because I can go forever and not burn much of anything. The only time I've been able to keep weight off was when I was walking 5 miles a day and dancing for 1.5 hours 5-6 nights a week. and the only time I've been able to lose weight due to exercise alone was a summer of competitive swimming practice, 1.5 hours a day 5 days per week.]





This year, starting Nov.1, 2007, has been a year of discovery for me. I've been reevaluating my needs and wants and how to maintain my sanity and I've been focussing on improving my health. I started by trying to "eat better" and started running so that I could do the Cherry Blossom 5K in April. I was also rock climbing once or twice a week at that time. April came around. I was in better cardiovascular, muscular, and mental shape, but I had failed to lose any weight.





April 9, I weighed in at 196 (ugh!) and started using The Daily Plate... It has made the biggest change for me thus far. TDP keeps me honest and aware of what I am putting into my body. It makes me aware of when I'm not eating enough fruits & veggies, it's making me realize that a lot of "healthy" options at restaurants aren't really, and that average serving at a restaurant is about three servings on one plate. Excuse my language, but WTF?? No wonder this country has a weight problem. No wonder we have a economic problem!! I have probably cut my food bills in half because I take home leftovers almost every day and eat them for another meal. I suppose it is a good thing since then I get to enjoy the good food twice. Additionally, TDP has made me realize that one does not need to totally control what one eats. One can have good days or bad days as long as they somewhat even-out over time. See?
























Well, anyway, the whole point between sharing this rant/ background is that I am giddy because I weighed in today at 152.5 lbs and still going. I'm below the weight I was when I left college, and can fit back into some of my vintage clothing. (goodie!) Hoorah!

No comments: