Friday, April 3, 2009

Pretending like I'm going to Scotland.

I finally made the excursion to the Royal Mile Pub last night to try out their special scotch tasting night. Thank you to everyone who braved the trek with me. Sorry I got stuck in the middle of the table so I couldn't mingle - I was thinking we weren't gonna push all the tables together. : ( I was pleasantly surprised to find that the food was excellent and remarkably fresh tasting (not like processed US pub food at all). I TRIED THE HAGGIS!!!! And even more exciting: I liked it! *shhh... don't tell!* Now that I've spilled my tea on myself 3 times, I find I must swear that I am neither still drunk nor hung over. Lastly, and sadly, the Beef & Guinness pie was not a replacement for those that I loved across the ocean. It was good. try it, but it was more beefy-oniony-gravy than I was looking for. Maybe I should stop trying Guinness pies and just give up & make my steak & ale pie recipe I found online. Anyway, the wait-staff was lovely and efficient and I had a nice evening. I've also determined that when my friend Dave comes down, I MUST take him here & camp out for the night.

The other main reason I went was for the scotch tasting. They have an extensive list and a special pairing on Thursdays.
And this is how it went:

  • Starter: 16 yr old non-chill filtered pairing of Glenlivet & Longmorn - I wish they had been paired with the regular equivalent... it's hard to tell the difference between regular & non-chill filtered otherwise.
  • Inchmurrin - was OK, not my favorite, but drinkable
  • Caol Ila 12 yr. - tasted more like a campfire than Laphroaig, and had no other body to redeem itself with
  • Glenrothes Special - by far, one of the nicest of the night.. full bodied, yet sweet almost to the point of being like a sherry - it paired up extremely well with the Trifle that we had for dessert.

No comments: