Thursday, November 5, 2009

Repercussions beyond me or you....

Just something I've been pondering. On doing lotsa, lotsa research on "Paleo/Primal" eating theory, one thing that's a constant is total and Rampant anti-grain sentiment. Some of the arguments are interesting and may be legit, but at times it's hard to pick through the all out anti-grain rage and really determine what I think for myself on the subject... Also, I'm in a bit of a funk today, so it's hard to go much of anywhere mentally... I'm still about at: "my guts grump at me when I eat breads, so we'll try to keep it to a minimum."

Now I was pondering today: IF there's really something to Paleo and it should be applied to everyone, and IF there was a massive paradigm shift and everyone stopped eating them,.... holy _(fill in the blank)_, a large sector of commerce across the globe would collapse and where would we all be and what would happen to all those people who made their livelihood through grain farming and ..... keep going - there's a lot of 'what will everyone do' that feeds off that. Like the environmental impact of having a major crop shift and population impact because the vast majority of the world's population subsists on grain products because they are very calorically dense and cheap. Would we have more problems with starving people around the world because we would not have enough food for everyone if we switched all grain fields to pastures and green leafy veggies? i.e. Could that kind of agriculture support the current world population?

Sorry, I'm feeling a bit catastrpohic-dooms-dayish, so I'll go away now. : )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry for adding another depressing angle, but the supply of fresh water (to be more exact the lack thereof) in the world will become what will define the crops that will be available in the future. Wars will be fought over world populations not having access to enough drinking water, to say nothing of the need for water that is now used to irrigate. The desalinization of water, the new crops that will be 'engineered' to grow with less water. It's all a 'yikes' scenario.