Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Beets Can't Be Beat!

Yup, so I'm not going to share the recipe I need to work on it some more because all the flavors blended together and turned into a very flat taste. (Actually, that's probably good for some people...) Anyway, I'll post the full list of my Samhain resolutions later, as well as a recap of Cincinnati and the Run Like Hell. I need pictures to do it justice though and I keep leaving my cable at work. argh. So one of my Samhain resolutions will be to try a new vegetable every week or every other week. It's partly spurred by how limited I feel in what I eat and partly by things like this... Either way, I need to get around to 26-52 new vegetables this year. This week was beets. Not just the beet, as I've had that before, but the WHOLE beet including beet greens and t he stalks. AWESOME!!! Do NOT throw those stalks away! They are super yummy! So last night I made spaghetti squash as a base and then sauteed the beet greens and stalks in olive oil & white Wine vinegar and garlic and dried mint and chili powder and Galena st. Seasoning and sauteed some Pork tenderloin in it at the end. I scooped all that onto the spaghetti squash. It was good, though the flavor was not as complex as I had been hoping. The three things I loved about it was that I got at least 3 servings of vegetables in one dish, it was colorful, and by using the beets, stalks, and greens, I got 3 veggies for the price of one. : )) the pics don't really do it justice, but ah well...

No comments: