Monday, November 24, 2008

kiss my copyright, b!$@#...

Hmmm... with all the years that I've been involved with IP (Intellectual Property) I've never really had much use for it, other than the fact that the people who need it pay me. Having worked in IP, it has made me a little more sensitive to different IP issue and I'm now doing a lot of heavy-duty research to try and not step on other people's IP toes when I start up my side-venture next year. Never, NEVER would I have thought that I would be involved with anything IP related personally. It's interesting. So a number of years ago I took this picture of Binghamton from the top of a building where my friends' wedding reception was:



Another friend in B-ton was doing the B-ton wikipedia site and asked if he could use it and I said "yes, just cite me"

The other day I found out the following...
Pay attention to the top banner... it changes.
http://www.broadwaybinghamton.com/

Then today I was sent this...
http://www.nysegsolutions.com/AboutUs/
Notice where the large picture is on the left.... I think it's a stock photo of a light bulb now, but that was a cropped version of my picture this morning.

I'm going to talk to the Broadway people... I don't mind people using my pic - in fact I think it's kinda cool that people like it and are using it and passing it around. I DO mind that I'm not getting mentioned - if they just put a note that I took the picture, I'll be happy. The thing I mind even more is that the NYSEG site used it. I've written to them already, which is why the picture is no longer there.... (I feel kinda like it's a "dance, monkey, dance!" situation. hehe... things happened FAST since it may have potentially been a legal issue for them). So i wrote to them just asking where they got the photo and said I'd be willing to discuss it if they'd like to use it still... but really, It'll be interesting to see where it came from. I really, really hope that it's just a small-town, not so worried about the legal stuff kind of thing. I hope it's NOT that they bought the image from someone. That would make me mad.

Remember kids: Intellectual property is an important thing and ALWAYS make sure to get permission before using someone else's toy unless it's a stock photo bought from a reputable source... ; )

3 comments:

Jessie Ambler said...

Wow, look at you! You're all like famous and stuff now! :)

Binkle said...

Ha! That's just the problem... I'm not. If they'd put my frickin' name with the pic maybe.... : )

Jessie Ambler said...

You're famous on the BroadwayBinghamton site! :)