Thursday, December 15, 2011

Musings on Style

So this has been a dichotomy day...  I woke up this morning and stumbled upon this blog post from Advanced Style...
I love it!  I feel a certain affinity for these ladies eventhough I don't share their fashion taste.  Great for them.  I wouldn't wear some of it myself, though I am intrigued by the black lace and bead string shirt in the third photo & would be tempted to try the black and grey outfit in the second (it wouldn't work.  I'm kinda abysmal at layering even if I try).  I approach everyday as a dress up session.  This is why I love working somewhere with semi-lax dress code.  That's why I'm a little bummed about working at home - no runway & nobody to discuss choices with (yes, one of my male coworkers would comment on my outfits, give opinions, etc, & no he wasn't gay or metro).  This is also a reason I'm looking forward to getting older.  I figure the older I get, the more comfortable being flamboyant I'll be (already happening as I define my own concept of adulthood...).  I'd even like to go off the deep end sometime when I have brilliant grey hair & run around in full Victorian dress for a week randomly - just to entertain myself & other people.

But then later today I ran across this: 
And I feel really bad for the girl raised by people who buy into this.  I feel really bad for people propogating this.  Girls who are raised by that *may * break out of that mindset, but more likely, I doubt they will become a Lady of Advanced Style.  : (

Just my 2 cents.


Needless to say, I got inspired by the first, and reacted to the second, and determined to wear flaming red leggings under a black cowl neck tunic sweater with my hair braided & coiffed up, with black & red stone Victorian inspired dangle earrings, with a three strand "pearl" choker - and all that will be paired with a vintage black velvet swing coat and asymmetrical black velvet hat from the early 50s when I venture out today.  : )

No comments: