Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Graceful like a Rhinoceros

I have to tell you.  I'm back to doing Parkour & Loving it, but it's a very humbling experience...  Anyone who's seen me dance or who's seen me in Exuberant Animal...  you won't believe me, but I'm a Klutz, lack all semblance of grace, and moving is very hard for me.  It takes me considerably longer than most, it seems, to figure out how to get my body to move the way I want it to.  Hence, 70% of the parkour lessons involve me standing there and staring into space with a sour expression on my face while the other 30% is me actually moving.  Seriously.  The staring off into space bit is me trying to figure out A) what I'm doing wrong and B) how to fix it, but mostly I just look frustrated.  At least it's a very humbling experience and I've only managed to come away with one shin gash & a knee bruise (correction: massive knee bruise) so far, so I think I'm ahead of the game.  I need practice.  Lots & lots of practice.  I'm essentially in "special ed" when you give me something new to do.  Just to learn to dance I needed to repeat everything over and over and over again.  Once it's in muscle memory, I am golden.  This is what I hope to get from Parkour is that when I'm older I will go to stumble & fall and instead catch myself &; prevent catastrophe.  Or maybe if I'm ever being chased, I will know instinctively how to get over, around or up something to save my butt.  These are my hopes.  Now to practice.  : )  Someday I will not be moving like a rhinoceros.  Just not today.  Or tomorrow....  Or probably not next week either.  Ah well.

No comments: